Who is Salem Belleman's Church?
We are a baptized people. We are a forgiven people. We are a worshiping people. We are a community of faith seeking to serve our Lord in word and deed in this world.
We proclaim Christ’s presence in our lives through inspiring worship services. We are a liturgical church which strives to add variety and vitality in worship each week. In many ways we reach outward to meet the needs of God’s people within and outside our congregation. Through “jingle offerings” in worship we help local needs of individuals; we support the Schuylkill Valley Food Pantry, and Reading’s Opportunity House. Mission Trips throughout the United States are an important part of our ministry as we assist others in rebuilding their lives.
By God’s Grace, we will continue to be led by the Holy Spirit to praise our Lord and serve our Lord in this community and in the world.
Mission Statement:With the strength of our combined traditions, we strive to be unified through CHRIST as a community that reaches out and welcomes individuals of various ages and faith backgrounds… offering a diversity of opportunities in worship and service… so that we are spiritually enriched by the power, promise and presence of the Holy Spirit.
Belleman’s Church, one of the oldest houses of worship in the county of Berks, dates back to 1746. Our two congregations (United Church of Christ and Lutheran) first worshiped in a log cabin, then the historic Old Church (1815, pictured left) and now the present building (1924, pictured below).
The two congregations formed a shared ministry and called one pastor in 2003. This means that, although the two congregational identities are maintained, there is one pastor serving both congregations. The two congregations worship together in unified services, and serve our Lord through united choirs, youth group and committees, which are made up of members of both congregations.
The Old Church is still used for a spring Hymn Sing, two to three Sundays during the summer for worship services, weddings and a fall Pennsylvania German Worship service. The building has no heat or electricity and features a wineglass pulpit and hand-pumped pipe organ.